How to Practice Yoga – Sun Salutation
Do You Know Your Yoga Poses?
The Sun Salutation is a series of 12 postures of yoga performed in a single, graceful flow. Each movement is coordinated with the breath. Inhale as you extend or stretch, and exhale as you fold or contract into your yoga poses. The Sun Salutation builds strength and increases flexibility. Different styles of yoga perform the Sun Salutation with their own variations. However, the flow presented below covers core steps used in most styles. For the series below, a single round consists of two complete sequences: one for the right side of the body and the other for the left. On days when you think you have no time for yoga, try and do at least one or two rounds of the Sun Salutation. You’ll feel the difference.
The things you’ll need:
- Begin by standing in Mountain pose, feet about hip width apart, hands either by your sides or in prayer position. Take several deep breaths.
- On your next inhale, in one sweeping movement, raise your arms up overhead and gently arch back as far as feels comfortable and safe.
- As you exhale, bend forward, bending the knees if necessary, and bring your hands to rest beside your feet.
- Inhale and step the right leg back
- Exhale and step the left leg back into plank position. Hold the position and inhale.
- Exhale and lower yourself as if coming down from a pushup. Only your hands and feet should touch the floor.
- Inhale and stretch forward and up, bending at the waist. Use your arms to lift your torso, but only bend back as far as feels comfortable and safe. Lift your legs up so that only the tops of your feet and your ahnds touch the floor. It’s okay to keep your arms bent at the elbow.
- Exhale, lift from the hips and push back and up
- Inhale and step the right foot
- Exhale, bring the left foot forward and step into head-to-knee position.
- Inhale and rise slowly while keeping arms extended.
- Exhale, and in a slow, sweeping motion, lower your arms to the sides. End by bringing your hands up into prayer position. Repeat the sequence, stepping with the left leg.
Namaste! That is how to do the sun salutations!
We love to do yoga and love to show you more yoga positions!